
I chose Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive" to compare to Cake's cover of the song. The main difference is in the original a woman is singing it and in the other a man is. When Gloria sings this song she sounds strong like she is empowering women. The message I get is, "I'm not that weak, passive woman you think I am." She is telling someone off; telling them to leave and she will be fine without them.
In Cake's cover, after watching the music video, I don't think their meaning was the same. It changed in the sense that he was not talking about a woman leaving and he'd survive, I think it was more like he would survive against the world; just life in general. It's a more modern version of "I Will Survive" with catchy guitar riffs and jams throughout the song compared to the things that were popular in the disco era. The lead singer sounds almost monotone and apathetic while singing the lyrics, but it's interesting how everytime I sing-a-long I still put emphasis in the song, or certain parts that sound so powerful, because they lyrics are still strong. There are no changes in the lyrics but one added cuss word to put a little accent on the lock he should have changed.
Gloria's original is so upbeat and just makes you want to move and shout out the lyrics. Cake's version makes you want to do a sort of mosh pit movement or almost feel self-pity at how pathetic the voice is singing. I love both versions though!! I can relate to both messages and plus it's just catchy and fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment