Sunday, April 19, 2009

Laura Esquirel's "Like Water for Chocolate"

I absolutely loved this book! I couldn't put it down! I think that the love story and plot are so enticing, and I love the fictional, magical aspects used throughout the novel. I think the main character, Tita, has such a genuine personality and it's unfortunate that she has to deal with her unfair family traditions.
The love between Tita and Pedro reminded me of Romeo and Juliet, both are young and so infatuated with each other without actually knowing the other person that well. It was shocking to see them actually marry at the end; I didn't expect that their love was true and going to last as long as it did.

How the author, Laura, Esquirel, incorporated a unique recipe in every monthly chapter was interesting because there was always a significance about whatever dish Tita was serving. My two favorite characters in the book were the two cooks, Nacha and Chencha, who I felt cared more about Tita than her own mother did.
There are many examples of love and desire in the book. Tita and Pedro have such a desire for each other; I haven't decided if it was just lust in the beginning or really some connection... I think all the family members loved each other very much but they weren't big on showing emotions; there "Mami" wanted them to never cry so they would look strong.
Anyways, I recommend this book!!

2 comments:

  1. Where are you group members' comments? I'm glad you enjoyed the book so much. Is there anything you'd be critical of in it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also felt that I wasn't sure Pedro and Tita's love was real until the end of the story. I also couldn't put the book down, I wanted to know more and more about the family!

    ReplyDelete